Since I have been trying to revive some hobbies as of late, I decided to read some books. It has been admittedly hard to find the time to sit and read. But once I looked for moments, I found them. Jared and I just finished reading Breaking Dawn. Since we had read the other three vampire books, we felt we needed to read the last one to get some closure. It was interesting at times, freaky at others, and overall a kind of "eh" experience. But we weren't really expecting much because the whole freaky vampire thing isn't really our bag of goodies.
Contrastingly, I also just finished rereading a classic. Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Wow. I hadn't read it for many years and although I remember the story, I read it this time with a very different perspective. What a fantastic book. I think it was my mother-in-law that brought up the book lately as a great read, and I am sure glad she did. From the moment Scout introduced her Alabama-bred family on the first page to the last page where she has come full circle in the story, I loved it. I am happy to say my reading hobby is back in business!
I am also making time to play the piano more and even cracked out the guitar the other night. There is something very fascinating going on as I try and revive my hobbies. I have discovered that I have let my attention span become about as long as my toddler's. Struggling to stick with something for more than a few minutes, I realize that I have desperately needed this awakening! For example... on Sunday I was asked to fill in for the R.S. pianist. So I plunked down at the piano and started the accompaniment. About halfway through the first verse, my mind wandered and I completely lost my place in the music. Because I am very out of practice at the piano, I couldn't just jump back in and made a really loud and obnoxious blunder. That wasn't the end of my embarrassment though. At the end of the third verse I went to close my book only to realize that there was still another verse and the whole group of women was looking at me expectantly to keep playing. Oops. Once again that whole focus thing just wasn't really happening.
What I'm rambling on about is that I really need to remember how to be an adult and have sustained thoughts, finish projects, and generally focus more on life instead of ... what was I talking about again????
9 comments:
Are you on goodreads.com? It's a fun way to see what everybody else in the family of reading. Good for you for reviving your hobbies!
That is too funny about the piano! And I am so glad you read Mockingbird again like me. It is such a good book!
I need to re-read that book- I am finding that i actually have time to read now. I felt the same way about the 4th vampire book though.... ehhh... Have you read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger? One of my favorite books ever... Love it... Hey, have you seen the secret life of bees movie? I want to see it so badly!
I gotta find this book for myself...I'm in the "reading business" for awhile...I believe I've already read about 10 books this year...which I guess it's a pretty good average for someone who only reads at the time I go to bed!
I loved your piano story! Actually, most people don't even care if you make boo-boos...they are just thankful they are not the ones up there playing!
Have you joined Good Reads? That's where I get the names of good books to read...mostly from your sisters-in-law and the rest of the family.
That is so funny about the piano because I can TOTALLY relate-- and have done the exact same thing. I start to go on auto-pilot and think of other things-- except I have kept playing when they are done!! I need to read To Kill a Mockingbird-- I'll stick it on my list, too! (Are you on the GoodReads list? I get lost of great ideas from people on it.)
That is a funny piano story. Good for you for reviving old hobbies. And I think blogging is a great hobby too.
I have a cool wife.
In Twin Falls, the Jr High asked us to come and tell about a book we had read. I compared "To Kill a Mocking Bird" with Grisham's "A Time to Kill". It is a telling comparison how our society has changed, but hasn't.
Post a Comment